Thursday, August 2, 2012

introductions are in order

Hi there, internets!

If you’ve stumbled across this blog, it’s probably because I’ve been leaving random comments on your blog, and you’re curious about whether or not I am a creepy stalker.  And maybe I am a little bit of a stalker, but mostly I just love clothes and fashion and sewing.

So… background info!  In case you’re interested…..

I’m 36 years old with a wonderful fiancé and a day job.  After years spent living in a personal style oblivion, I hit my mid-thirties and suddenly felt an urge to reinvent myself.  I lost some weight and started frequenting thrift stores.  Although I have every Vogue fall fashion issue dating back to 1997, I started regularly sifting through magazines and scrutinizing details and looking for ways to translate high fashion into everyday wearable style.  I discovered various style blogs and lurked around for more ideas and inspiration.

Six months ago, I took another big sartorial step and signed up for a 6-session evening sewing class at my local community college.  I pulled out the sewing machine that my parents had given me for Christmas 4-5 years earlier, took it out of the box, and finally disengaged it from its Styrofoam padding.  And it was love at first sight.

Since then, I have started a dozen or so sewing projects and finished 6.  One of the six was a gift and came out great.  The other five were for me, and four of them are even sort of wearable, yay!

I am hoping to use this blog to document my progress, but I warn readers from the get-go that I am pathetically lazy about taking and uploading pictures, and posts might be few and far between.  Right now I have a bad habit of starting projects, realizing two-thirds of the way in that I’m not happy with them, and abandoning them.  Maybe blogging about projects will make me more accountable to myself.

Also, I am getting married in (gasp) two months.  And I am attempting to sew my own wedding dress!  We’ll see how it goes….

What about you?  Did you sew your own wedding dress, or do you plan to?  Does blogging push you to follow through with sewing projects or keep honing your personal style?  Have you always had a love of clothing and fashion?  If you had to wear the same outfit for a month, what would it be?  If you’re reading this and feel the inclination, tell me a little something about yourself!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Bex, it was nice to 'meet' you over on my blog. I'm looking forward to seeing your own crafty posts!

    I actually only really got into honing my personal style when I started sewing. I'm still working out what that is exactly, but sewing helps me look at it and myself with a more critical eye and choose the clothes that work the best for me. :)

    Good luck with that wedding dress. I've seen a few bloggers tackled making their own, and it looks like quite the undertaking (and an amazing journey on it's own). I hope it turns out just the way you want it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving the very first comment on my blog!

      I started tissue-fitting the bodice last night and might make a muslin post this week if I have time. I am excited to get started on it. Which is good, because I'm also kind of running out of time, LOL!

      Delete
  2. You're so brave making your own wedding dress. I'd definitely love to see that. I got married 3 years ago and only started sewing last year but I kind of wish I could have made my own although I did love my dress.

    See you around blog land, Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie! It's a small and informal wedding, which takes some of the pressure off. Fingers crossed for the muslin!

      Delete
  3. Hi. Nice to meet you. I'm new at the sewing game myself (6 months) so it's fun to be in touch with other beginners. Looking forward to following you on your new adventures. Interesting questions you posed, particularly the one about having always followed fashion. I only became interested this year. It's like some girly switch turned on in me and I actually care about shoes, accessories, and clothes now. It's been a fun journey, and it's pretty much the reason I started sewing. No way could I afford the cute Lilly Pulitzer and BCBG dresses that I drool over, so I'm making my own fun frocks. And it's SUCH an amazing creative outlet. Have fun sewing and blogging!! And good luck with your wedding dress!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Shelley. Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself! From that first moment I threaded my machine and sewed my first stitch, all I could think was, "Why did I wait so long to do this?" I've done a lot of crafty things throughout the years, but nothing has excited me like sewing. It opens up so many possibilities. Thanks again for checking out my blog!

      Delete